To Be a Man for Others
Last Saturday, some students went to Enderun for a campus tour. Yes, the school was out of the ordinary and the food we ate was very good. And just yesterday, Uncle Alfred was talking about my college scholarship with Saint Jude and its benefits to me and my future students. But no, I am not here to talk about those two events. I am here to talk about what they said. Their words were really full of thought and meaning that I am reflecting on it here in my post.
Chef See Cheong Yan is the culinary head of Enderun. He talked to us about choosing the right college and the right course for us. I remember his words very clearly: set goals; make it right the first time; choose what you really want; have passion in your work.
He told us that man spends sixty percent of life working. And if one chooses the wrong path and goes to a field he/she does not really want, or he/she was just forced by the parents to walk a certain path he/she does not like, sixty percent of his/her life is wasted. In choosing a path, specifically a course in college, make it right the first time because if you don’t, you will be wasting valuable time and money. Imagine the hassles of shifting courses, taking extra subjects, and the hassles of shifting themselves.
To have passion in your work means to work not just for money. Work for the sake of service as well. And in order to have passion, set your goals and priorities straight if you want to achieve them and enjoy your work.
Yesterday, Uncle Alfred said he need not interview me for the college scholarship for he trusts that I am really willing to partake in it and serve Saint Jude after my five years in ADMU. He discussed about the details and also some inspirational talk too!
His main concept was “to be a man for others.” In service, we achieve our fullest ambitions. He also told me to work for the sake of service and not for the sake of work itself. And through this service, one will be rewarded by the God above maybe not materially but spiritually.
The most important thing he said was to trust God wholeheartedly in whatever I do and in whatever I may undergo. I asked him what would happen if in duration of the scholarship or my service I quit because of certain reasons. And he just told me, “Don’t think that. If you ever break your word, it is alright with me since I have done my service to you. But for the rest of your life, you will carry in your mind and heart that you once broke you own promise.” And I find that very true. And regarding the job opportunities of a fresh graduate, he told me, “If I were to look at the resumés of two applicants, the other, a fresh graduate and you, who graduated two years ago but you served your alma mater, no contest! I would choose you!” He also said that God will help me in finding a very good job after my two years of service in Saint Jude if I really entrust everything to Him. He even gave examples of some Ateneans who, rather than choosing any career they like, chose to stay at the Ateneo and teach.
I hope that this will serve not only as an impetus to me but also as an inspiration to my fellow readers as well.
Chef See Cheong Yan is the culinary head of Enderun. He talked to us about choosing the right college and the right course for us. I remember his words very clearly: set goals; make it right the first time; choose what you really want; have passion in your work.
He told us that man spends sixty percent of life working. And if one chooses the wrong path and goes to a field he/she does not really want, or he/she was just forced by the parents to walk a certain path he/she does not like, sixty percent of his/her life is wasted. In choosing a path, specifically a course in college, make it right the first time because if you don’t, you will be wasting valuable time and money. Imagine the hassles of shifting courses, taking extra subjects, and the hassles of shifting themselves.
To have passion in your work means to work not just for money. Work for the sake of service as well. And in order to have passion, set your goals and priorities straight if you want to achieve them and enjoy your work.
Yesterday, Uncle Alfred said he need not interview me for the college scholarship for he trusts that I am really willing to partake in it and serve Saint Jude after my five years in ADMU. He discussed about the details and also some inspirational talk too!
His main concept was “to be a man for others.” In service, we achieve our fullest ambitions. He also told me to work for the sake of service and not for the sake of work itself. And through this service, one will be rewarded by the God above maybe not materially but spiritually.
The most important thing he said was to trust God wholeheartedly in whatever I do and in whatever I may undergo. I asked him what would happen if in duration of the scholarship or my service I quit because of certain reasons. And he just told me, “Don’t think that. If you ever break your word, it is alright with me since I have done my service to you. But for the rest of your life, you will carry in your mind and heart that you once broke you own promise.” And I find that very true. And regarding the job opportunities of a fresh graduate, he told me, “If I were to look at the resumés of two applicants, the other, a fresh graduate and you, who graduated two years ago but you served your alma mater, no contest! I would choose you!” He also said that God will help me in finding a very good job after my two years of service in Saint Jude if I really entrust everything to Him. He even gave examples of some Ateneans who, rather than choosing any career they like, chose to stay at the Ateneo and teach.
I hope that this will serve not only as an impetus to me but also as an inspiration to my fellow readers as well.

0 条评论:
发表评论
订阅 博文评论 [Atom]
<< 主页