吳永金傳

這件一言難盡的故事書記載了一個人的生活、過程、成就。只要每一天能緩緩地逝過去,作者能坐在電腦前慢慢地寫作,這故事能達到無邊無窮。 “明亮的月光, 照來我房裡。 我坐在窗邊, 心裡想著你。” -- 吳永金

星期日, 九月 02, 2007

Verbosity

Yesterday was my blockmate Nikka's birthday party. Instead of a fancy hotel debut, they made it simple but accomodating instead at Dad's G3.

As always, the three different buffets bedazzle me. I don't know where to start! But I need not worry of multiple trips back to the buffet because I have a lot of my blockmates who make frequent trips there as well.

I was part of the 18 roses/treasures/shots (had us perform those roles), but rather than a shot of vodka, I chose water instead. You guys know how intolerant I am for alcohol. And as I was there in front with my other blockmates, I once again see my half-finished plate of food being brought away by another stupid waiter who doesn't know the meaning of my utensils placed on the right side the plate facing down. Makes me remember the time that stupid waiter at New World took my half-finished pork roast during third year's JS Prom.

But all the same I enjoyed the time with my blockmates yesterday evening. :)

--------o--------

Today was the monthly eatout of Dad and Mom's barkada.

A friend who migrated to Canada returned sometime last month and a welcome party was held. They just left almost two weeks ago and this noon letters were mailed to Dad' friend. The wife apparently has very good vocabulary because all of us were pondering deeply as to what various words meant.

Allow me to list them down and their meanings. I took the time of searching them up, courtesy of Mr. Webster.

1. ensconce (v.) - to hide; conceal; shelter

2. gustatory (adj.) - of or having to do with tasting or the sense of taste

3. odalisque (n.) - a female slave or concubine in an Oriental harem (now that I don't know why this word would appear in that thank-you letter)

4. seraglio (n.) - the part of a Muslim household where wives or concubines live; harem (the two words were together; again I know not why concubines or harems are in a thank-you letter)

If I were to reply to that letter, it would be simple:

Please elucidate the deep words because people of limited vocabulary cannot comprehend such words. We are not as garrulous, laconic, or verbose in our everyday language.

And tomorrow, hell week starts...

0 条评论:

发表评论

订阅 博文评论 [Atom]



<< 主页